Ready to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medication. Never before have numerous new strategies and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless people the chance to minimize or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and quick method to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help guarantee that you will more than happy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Do not be deceived by fancy advertisements about a particular laser. Select the physician, not the laser center. Discover who will in fact do your treatment, then inquire about that medical professional's credentials (e.g., board certification, special training).
3. Pick a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a doctor doesn't understand can injure you.
Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your doctor won't inform you, discover another one.
5. Ask what measures are required to avoid infection. Look for a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating room. Make certain that disposable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be find out here now disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Be careful of advertisements pushing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute.
Expect to see very well after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as specific as each client. Beware of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
8. You most likely are if you feel like you're getting a difficult sell. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely use better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting up until the brand-new lenses are available. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, don't lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the vision of countless individuals worldwide.